My friends joke that I am obsessed with skiing, that I am always thinking about winter, planning my next alpine assault. It’s actually no joke. I’m particularly stoked about this ski season.
Here’s 5 reasons why:
1. I’m taking my ski pants to France. Having skied 126 resort around the globe, the French Alps are on my haute hit list. Stay tuned for ski reviews, and European après ski too – it is a French expression after all!
2. I’m 50 and I have vowed to ski my age in days. That’ll be a challenge. I have the Epic Pass, good at Vail’s 13 resorts, and I’m not afraid to use it. The Epic Pass even includes 5 days at their most recently acquired Whistler Blackcomb! Oh, that ski trip to France? Les 3 Vallées – Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires and Val Thorens, plus Paradiski – Les Arcs, La Plagne and Tignes-Val D’Isére – are all on the Epic Pass too for two days each!
3. It WILL be a good snow winter in the East, repeat after me… Last winter in New England was beyond a bummer, with ski resorts measuring under 100-inches. Read: unsatisfactory. So my view is this season can only be better. In my five decades of skiing The East, I have witnessed a cyclical pattern – warm drought like winters are followed by bountiful snow years. See the Almanac predication for “Ice Cold and Snow Filled in the East, “Freezing Cold and Average Snowfall” in the central Rockies”. Sorry Pac Northwest, Cali and South West – “Mild, Stormy, Balmy”.
4. The Women’s World Cup came to Killington Nov 26-27. And in March 15-19, 2017 the World Cup Finals will be held at Aspen Snowmass. This is HUGE for alpine ski racing and the US Ski Team on a global stage. Go Team USA! I’m of course bummed about Lindsey Vonn’s recent injury, the humerus is not funny. I just read Lindsey’s book, “Strong is the New Beautiful.” A better title than “Ran from the Tiger, Rehabbed and Returned with Vengeance.” Her diet and daily regime is not unlike Tom Brady’s, and I’m not counting her out – she’s the comeback kid.
5. Another ski bucket list item, I want to pass Seth Wescott on Liftopia’s “Where I’ve skied” App. Seth’s at 156, but he just got married so while he’s happily honeymooning and sleeping in, I want to bag 32 new ski resorts. Lofty ski goals, I know. Just last season I skied 49 days, at 27 new resorts.
What are your ski goals this season?
Get your ski bag and gear out, and get ready! #WinterIsComing – so is #TheSnow
By Heather Burke, photography by Greg Burke www.luxuryskitrips.com
2016 Copyright & Photography property of Family Ski Trips