Top 10 Reasons to Ski!
People ask me why I ski, why I would go out in the blistering cold, spend serious dough to risk injury on snow?
Here are my top 10 reasons to ski:
- Winter is the longest season – particularly in New England, Canada, and the Rocky Mountains. A sure cure for Cabin Fever is a day on the snowy slopes. Of course, then you risk getting powder flu which is highly contagious.
- Most people look better in a ski suit than a swim suit. You can hide your butt in a Bogner – same can’t be said for a bikini or boy trunks.
- Skiing takes you to new heights – literally. Chairlifts deliver a bird’s eye view of our beautiful mountains – and no hiking! Top ski resorts with a view.
- Unlike mountain biking, hiking and swimming, snow is very clean on contact – I am not a big fan of filthy sports that cake you in mud or mess up your hair.
- Skiing is a tremendous calorie burner! Its great physical activity, consuming up to 700 calories an hour – that beats a jog on hard asphalt in my book. Its aerobic, cardio, calisthenic, strength training and good for your mental health – all combined. See our How to get ski fit guide.
- Skiing can be enjoyed with friends and family. You can’t play soccer with Grandma – what if you kick her in the shin by mistake? Basketball with my son is no fun – but skiing with my mom and my boy is a multi-generational good time.
- Skiing is a lifetime sport. Klaus Obermeyer, Warren Miller, Penny Pitou, Stein Erickson – all amazing ski athletes that have been doing what they love best for over six decades!
- Skiing is a great sport to meet people, particularly the opposite sex. Name another activity that allows you to shout “Single” in the line and potentially find a match. And then there’s après ski.
- Skiing has no limits, only endless possibilities for travel and discovery from small volunteer run recreational hills to high Alps with untouched powder fields and helicopter accessed first descents.
- You can’t après ski until you have skied…